Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Stranger on the Emmaus Road


The Stranger on the Emmaus Road

The story of Christ witnessing on the Road to Emmaus in Luke 24:17-34 is my favorite Bible story. I love sharing it. In fact, the first time I met my wife, I shared it with her, not knowing at the time that in her attic she had an old tattered and unframed copy of the Robert Zund art print depicting the story. I’ve since learned that Esthermay is a bit of a collector. She has all sorts of treasures hidden away: garage-sale junk and old broken stuff that most folks just throw away. She tucks these treasures away and brings them out at just the right time (cleaned-up, fixed-up or rearranged) as a gift for someone or a seasonal addition to our home.

The time came for me to ask for Esthermay’s hand in marriage. I nervously drove to her parents’ home and did it the old-fashion way in the tradition of chivalry. Sitting there in her parents’ dining room, I again shared my favorite story of Christ on the Emmaus Road. They both listened agreeably as I went on and on. . . . My future father-in-law then motioned for me to look at the wall. Right there in front of me was the Robert Zund print! Am I observant or what?!! (Perhaps, just nervous on this particular day.) The print had been in their family for years; and the one tucked away in Esthermay’s attic would also soon become a Goossen family heirloom.

If you’re thinking ahead, you’ve already figured out that the old unframed print in Esthermay’s attic was eventually transformed into a gift for me. It came out of hiding on our first Christmas together. It had been, of course, beautifully matted and framed with an attractive gold-plated inscription. It now hangs in my study at home. I treasure it. And I will always love the message that it inspires: The importance of witnessing.

As we settle in for our study on The Whiten Harvest Fields over the next weeks here at Crane Chapel, we will realize and appreciate that witnessing is the essential tool in our work. This morning we will look at the key elements of witnessing from the story of the Emmaus Road. Like Jesus, we need to first understand the importance of Contact with people (vs. 15). We need to grasp the significance of the actual Communication we have with people (vs. 17). We need to learn the value of the Content (vs. 17) of the Scripture that we share with people. And finally, we need to see that the goal of witnessing is the Conversion of those to whom we witness.

We don’t know with certainty exactly who the two people were on the road with Jesus that day. What we are told in scripture is that Jesus “drew near and went with them.” (Luke 24:15) We all travel a symbolic Emmaus Road and we all come in contact with strangers. Are you like Jesus? Do you draw near? What inspires you to draw near to others? For me it’s this wonderful story. In essence, this passage is my life’s mission-statement. I want to be like Jesus: courageous and confident in sharing the precious Word of God with everyone I meet. How about you?

-- Pastor Mark

No comments: