Monday, January 15, 2007

The Significance of the Book of Romans

There is no book of the Bible which has been so instrumental in changing lives and in impacting the church as Paul’s Letter to the Romans. Most, if not all, of the great revivals and reformation in the history of the church have been directly related to the Book of Romans. I don’t often list a great deal of historical quotes and facts here. But as a pastor, my calling and my life’s goal is to see the Word of God change people’s lives. More than any other Biblical passage, Romans does that! Read on:

In 386 A.D., Aurelius Augustine received Jesus Christ as his Savior after reading a passage from the Book of Romans. He went on to become one of the church’s most outstanding leaders and theologians.

A thousand years later, Martin Luther wrote, “Night and day I pondered Romans until I grasped the truth. I felt myself to be reborn. This passage of Paul became to me a gateway to heaven.”

Several centuries later (May 24, 1738 to be precise), a minister named John Wesley wrote this about his study in the Book of Romans: “I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for my salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins….”

In assessing the importance of the Book of Romans, John Calvin said, “When one gains a knowledge of this Epistle, he has an entrance opened to him to all the most hidden treasures of Scripture.”

The famous sixteenth-century Bible translator William Tyndale wrote of Romans: “It is the principle and most excellent part of the New Testament... No man can read it too oft, or study it too well; for the more it is studied, the easier it is; the more it is chewed, the pleasanter it is. . . the more it is searched, the preciouser things are found….”

It has been said that Romans will delight the greatest logician and captivate the mind of the consummate genius, yet it will bring tears to the humblest soul and refreshment to the simplest mind. (Are you excited yet? I am!)

As a congregation, we’ve just come out of a wonderful study in the Book of Acts where we were introduced to the Apostle Paul. There is no dispute that Paul wrote the Book of Romans. Probably while in Corinth on his third missionary trip. His primary purpose in writing it was to teach the truth of Grace to new believers who had never really heard it. So Romans is primary a book of doctrine and contains little historical material -- but it does answer a lot of questions about man and God: What is the good news of God? Is Jesus really God? What is God like? How can God send people to hell? Why do men reject God and His Son? Why are there false religions and idols? What is man’s biggest sin? Why is there evil in the world? What is the standard by which God judges people? How can a person who has never heard about God be held spiritually responsible? Who is a true Jew? Can any person keep God’s laws perfectly? How can a person know he is a sinner? Where can people find real peace and hope? What exactly is grace? Why is living a Christian life such a struggle?

If you’ve ever asked questions like these, this sermon series from the Book of Romans is for you! Stay tuned. We’re just getting started!

- Pastor Mark

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I regard as polite post. Expressly the title attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I'm beginning a series on Romans with our student ministry and this was just the kind of info I was looking for in my introduction!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, it is an interesting question, I will take part in discussion. Together we can come to a right answer. I am assured.

Anonymous said...

Has casually found today this forum and it was registered to participate in discussion of this question.